At Crossroads Dental Care, our primary objective is the preservation of your natural teeth. Unfortunately, there are times when a tooth is so damaged that the only option is to remove it. Our staff is trained to understand the anxiety associated with extractions and are committed to making our patients feel relaxed and comfortable during the procedure.
A tooth extraction may be needed when:
- The tooth and bone structure are infected and severely decayed.
- The tooth is damaged beyond repair.
- Teeth are crowded and misaligned.
- The tooth is severely cracked, broken or split.
- The tooth needs to be extracted to proceed with orthodontics.
A complete oral exam, along with an X-ray will be done to determine the size and location of the tooth being removed. The procedure will require some form of anesthetic.
When the extraction is completed, you will be asked to:
- Bite down on a gauze pad that helps form a clot, which will stop the bleeding.
- Refrain from rinsing, sucking on a straw or smoking, so as to not dislodge the clot.
- Take all prescribed medication, if given.
- Reduce any swelling with an ice pack.
- Drink fluids and eat soft foods until it is comfortable for you to return to your regular diet.
If you need a tooth extracted, call the experienced team at Crossroads Dental Care at (303) 927-0639 to make an appointment.